Saturday, December 17, 2011

Nancy's Pumpkin Pie

I discovered this year that I actually like pumpkin pie!  I know, after thirty Thanksgivings, it's about time.  Here's one of my favorite recipes that helped convince me that I like it.  It comes from my former coworker in Michigan, Nancy.  I hope you enjoy, this is her mom's recipe.


Pumpkin Pie
 
(heat oven first)
 
1 small can pie filling (there are some with spices added, do not get that, just get the pure pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teas salt
1 teas cinnamon
1 teas ginger
1/8 t allspice (optional)  (Mom always left it out, so I have never added either)
3 eggs slightly beaten
MIX all these items together - I use electric mixer
 
1 1/2 cans of canned milk (evaporated milk - small can which is 5.33 oz - I use about 1 1/4 can)
SCALD the milk - which is heat to right before a boil - you will want to keep an eye on it and stir it
 
Then add the scalded milk to your mixture
 
Pour into pie shell
 
Bake at 425 for 10 - 15 minutes (I do 15) THEN
Turn oven down to 350 and continue to bake for 30 - 40 minutes (I usually need the 40)
 
It is done when you put a knife in and it comes out clean

No comments:

Post a Comment